- Whitney Luckett [ 5/17/2013 - 23:23 ] #As we take the summer off, you won't miss us because there is all kinds of incredible music in different venues. We just wanted to give you the heads up on two Americana festivals... Over Memorial day weekend, La Foret up north & KRCC are presenting the Meadowgrass Music Festival. The lineup looks like a lot of fun.
In late June, we'll be up at the Mountain Of The Sun Music Festival in Woodland Park. The setting there is not to be missed. We've been there every year and it just keeps getting better! Tony Furtado's latest video promises a fantastic end of the evening show...
Raven Nest Summer Concert Series
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/17/2013 - 22:54 ] #
Finishing the Season With Peter Mulvey
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/14/2013 - 10:35 ] #After we take May off, Peter Mulvey will be here in June to close the 2012-13 Friends House Concert Season. We love this guy! My absent daughter corrected my last email and said that "Sad, Sad, Sad, Sad" was her choice for one of his best. How ironic - the first time that Peter heard the finished product of this was here in our kitchen because the CD arrived while he was on tour. We knew with the wording it would never make commercial radio.
Peter has new recording out of Standards called "The Good Stuff" and it really is. He pulled together a new band called The Crumbling Beauties for this CD including Randy Sabien and David Goodrich, who you probably remember from Peter's first concert here with Chris Smither. Another home run! If you want to know what it's like to spend an afternoon with Peter it's really just like this...
Still Seats For Antje...
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/14/2013 - 10:17 ] #
There have been huge changes in my life recently and going through all the stuff on my desk, I found the lists of artists that other performers have recommended over the years. Antje's name popped up again and again. She's a musician's artist. In retrospect, we can't believe that it's taken us so long to have her here. There are still seats open - it's a great way to spend the evening while your kids enjoy prom - FVS PARENTS??? Go to Eventbrite and we'll see you here in a week!
Mountain Of The Sun Music Festival
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/14/2013 - 10:03 ] #I did see some of you there last year, but hope that more of you will venture up to Woodland Park for this incredible festival on Saturday, June 29th. We WILL be there to see the headliner - Tony Furtado and his new band. (Yes... you did see him here first!) Take a look at his video and tell me that the admission price isn't worth it?! Tell you a secret - they're still looking for a few volunteers and it's really cool to be behind the scenes. Check out the website and sign up there if you're interested. Let them know we sent you their way...
Upcoming Shows - Finishing out the 2012-13 Season
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/1/2013 - 22:34 ] # Only two shows left this in this season! If you would like to
reserve a seat for Peter's show, you can buy tickets online here or send a check to our PO Box.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Peter Mulvey
Date: Sunday June 16, 2013
Time: 7:00 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $25 made out to Friends House Concerts
Antje Duvekot In Less Than Three Weeks
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/1/2013 - 22:28 ] #
We look forward to having Antje Duvekot here in less than three weeks! Her website probably says it best: "Blending
uncommonly beautiful vocals with one of the sharpest poetic
sensibilities in her field, Duvekot has a remarkable ability to make
us believe she is whispering secrets in our ear, and we know that she
believes every word she sings."New Siberia" is her third studio album --
and a masterpiece of the modern folk genre. She assembled it herself
with a fresh confidence enhanced by the fan loyalty displayed on
Kickstarter.com. Again produced by folk legend Richard Shindell, the
cinematic ensemble sound showcases Duvekot's bold, sure-footed path
through emotional terrain most artists dare not even enter. "Musically, I
think I am in the strongest place I've ever been," says Duvekot." You can see her latest video here.
Join us for another great evening of wine, story & song up here on the hill. It REALLY won't snow on us on the 20th of April, right?!
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/13/2013 - 14:28 ] #Thank you to all who joined us here on the hill Sunday night. The snow was a challenge - but a showing of 90 people wasn't bad in such horrendous weather! Thank you for your patience and adventuresome spirit as we closed the evening out. We hope you all got home safely. Willy & Carmen won over everyone's hearts, but was there ever any doubt?! (OK, so I'm biased!)
A very special thanks to those who gave generously to TESSA and to Cafe Femenino. Several FHC friends even showed up over the last couple of days with checks, so the grand total of funds raised was $1,300. Organizations like these DO make this world a better place. YOU ARE AWESOME!
Talk About The Good Stuff...
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/21/2013 - 16:07 ] #
I LOVE the Boston Globe's quote about Peter because it rings so true...
“Peter Mulvey is all substance, which is his style.”You know that we don't normally host Summer concerts, but Marc will always make an exception for Peter Mulvey! We are so lucky to have our 2013 artists all arriving with albums hot off the press. Peter's latest is "a Standards record, as long as the songs of Tom Waits, Jolie Holland and Leonard Cohen are allowed to be counted next to classics by Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk and Bobby Charles." Peter's last album of covers, Ten Thousand Mornings, remains one of my favorites, so I can't wait to get my hand on his latest, "The Good Stuff". "Trempealeau", a new original song streaming on the website, is worth listening to...
With a nod to my absent daughter, here's a link to one of his classics, "Shirt"
"Things I Should Let You Know"
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/21/2013 - 15:36 ] #For those of you lucky enough to catch his opening for Cheryl Wheeler in 2011, you'll understand why we're so excited to have Seth Glier here in March. Seth has another new album out "Things I Should Let You Know", not surprising given that his last CD, "The Next Right Thing", was nominated for a Grammy. Take a look at his teaser for the newest album. He talks about putting himself out there on stage, and he really does as in this clip from an August 2012 concert. Quite frankly, I think that we're going to look back and be shocked that he actually played here at our house....
Checks are flowing in for this concert... Get to the website if you don't want to miss it!
Antje Duvekot - April at FHC
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/21/2013 - 15:06 ] #
Antje recently put up this video of her & John Gorka from last year, a hauntingly beautiful piece. The Graham Weekly Album Review had this to say about Antje's release "New Siberia" last September...
"Antje Duvekot's new self-released third CD New Siberia is the epitome of
what a good singer-songwriter record should be. The songs are high in quality
with literate, poetic lyrics, and pleasing musical compositions that go beyond
the usual simple folk tunes. Ms. Duvekot is a very appealing vocalist with a
style a bit reminiscent of Jonatha Brooke, and the arrangements and production
by Richard Shindell are very tasteful, enhancing the songs and adding sonic
interest without distracting or getting into the kind of cliches that can often
be heard on contemporary singer-songwriter records. Ms. Duvekot writes about
some more personal topics this time around, but does it in an indirect way so
that it does not come across as being self-absorbed."
In addition to the obvious singer / songwriter chops, Antje is a great storyteller. We look forward to hosting her here for the first time this Spring.
PSA - Brendan Hannigan In Concert
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/21/2013 - 14:45 ] #If you enjoyed Brendan opening for Erika & Lisa in November, you might want to check out his concert this Thursday in Manitou Springs:
When: Thursday, January 24. Doors open at 7:00pm, music at 7:30
Where: Venue 515 in Manitou Springs (515 Manitou Ave, next to the Business of Art Center) - An evening of the “Live Local Music” series sponsored by A Music Company and Amy and George Whitesell
Tickets: $5 - Either get them from Brendan (email@example.com) or at the door that evening
Willy Porter - Not Sold Out?!
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/21/2013 - 13:48 ] #Happy 2013 to all of you!! I'm just sitting here on MLK day letting the sounds of Willy's new CD flow over me. Will someone please explain why his fingers don't trip over themselves? Take a listen to "Yeah, I Know Love's Not Through With Us"... What a guitar god!
Willy, and I think his new collaborator Carmen Nickerson, will be here in less than three weeks, on February 10th. I know he's excited about their work and after listening to the seven new songs on his website, I completely understand. His precision playing and the effortless, perfect blending of their voices form the basis of a recording that stops you in your tracks, no matter what you're doing... Just let the groove of "Digging In The Dirt" take you away. How long has it been since you've had a new WP recording???
There are still seats left, but get to the website to reserve one. This is not a concert to miss...
Special Thanks To You All
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/3/2012 - 16:12 ] #I just wanted to give a quick shout out to all you wonderful FHC attendees. You filled the house to the rafters for Erika's return to the stage and your outpouring of condolences to us this week were so uplifting. It's all about community!! Thank you!!
Kenny White Opening Saturday For Cheryl Wheeler
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/3/2012 - 15:29 ] #Just found out a bit more about Saturday's concert. (Why am I always the last person to know about things?!) Cheryl is bringing with her an INCREDIBLE opening act, Kenny White. Check out his website for a full story, but below are comments from much more critical ears... Saturday will be another extraordinary night - and Kenny is just the opener!
Early praise for "Comfort in the Static"
"I'd have to say that Kenny White has earned a place among my favorite singer/songwriters .. and particularly, lyricists. As we say in the trade Ã¢â‚¬Å“he goes deep." Ã‚Â A true wordsmith AND musician who reveals a fine sense of humor, as well. Put on your headphones and listen carefully."
- David Crosby
"Songs of tragedy, comedy, life and death ... Kenny White is the troubadour of our sometimes sweet, often troubled times. "Carry You Home" is the big song I've been waiting for. Bravo, Kenny, in all categories: writing, playing, singing. Could I have some more, please?"
- Will Jennings (multi Oscar and Grammy winning songwriter)
|<< | May 2013 | >>|