Erika & Lisa Return to FHC
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/13/2015 - 13:20 ] #
The tight harmonies and red hot guitar playing of Lisa & Erika will be back here for the first time in three years. The duo has cut back significantly on touring these days, so we're just happy to have them here. The best intro we can give is a look at this video. Lisa's smooth jazzy voice blends incredibly with Erika's world inspired music for an unforgettable evening.
Friday July 10th is going to be a very special evening as it combines the magic of music and Lucketts with the celebration of FINALLY getting a kitchen worthy of Marc's culinary skills. Join us up on the hill for a summer evening that will linger pleasantly in your mind for years to come.
Erika Luckett & Lisa FerraroDate: Friday, July 10, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMTickets: $30Click Eventbrite for Tickets
Welcome to Our World!
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/13/2015 - 10:51 ] #
The good news is that BEHIND that visqueen sheet is the bare bones of a new kitchen! Yes, the end is in sight and we would like you all to join us for a highly unusual event: a summer Friends House Concert.
Please join us to christen the new kitchen as Rocky Mountain Highway brings back our original inspiration for this whole house concert gig, Erika Luckett. You know that with all the Lucketts in the house, this is going to be an incredible evening. Erika & Lisa will join us from the Bay Area for an unforgettable evening. Help us celebrate all kinds of new beginnings!
Did You Notice...
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/23/2015 - 09:19 ] #
That big ball of yellow in the sky that cast shadows yesterday for the first time in what seemed forever? Or the beautiful blue skies with puffy clouds up at La Foret yesterday? OR the cover of the CS Independent yesterday heralding the main act tonight up at MeadowGrass Music Festival in Black Forest?!
Join us up in the pine forest and under the big yellow & white tent for a second day of roots and Americana music. One of my favorite bands, HoneyHoney plays around dinner time this evening, just before Blue Rodeo takes the stage. Celebrate the break in the weather outside and grab a Bristol beer or a gyro from Jake & Tellys or ribs from Front Range BBQ! Life is too short to NOT stop & smell the roses (or the pine trees) and listen to live music?!
MeadowGrass Is Here!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/18/2015 - 11:00 ] #
The 7th annual MeadowGrass Festival starts this Thursday Evening up at beautiful La Foret with a special concert for our volunteers. The festival goes in to full swing Friday at noon. 23 bands, 3 days of music under 1 magnificent tent! I hope to see MANY of you up there - one of my favorite bands, honeyhoney is playing Saturday evening.
We just wanted to let FHC folks in on a great deal. Surprisingly there are still a handful of VIP tickets available. This is a $150 upgrade that you buy over a normal weekend pass. What you GET for that upgrade is pretty cool. We have had magnificent support from our local businesses this year. This year's VIP package includes:
I hope to see you out there this weekend - it's going to be a blast! Click here for tickets.
- VIP Parking - remember that on site parking is very limited this year
- Daily meet & greets with some of our bands
- A Sovereignty Wines & Mountain Pie CO hosted wine tasting
- A 291, 3 Hundred Days and Callicrate Beef hosted whiskey tasting
- A Bristol Beer & Radiantly Raw hosted paired beer & chocolate tasting
- Private tent up near the stage
- Private restroom facilities (who WOULDN'T want that?!)
- Swag bag with a special edition Mountain Chalet / MeadowGrass waterbottle
- Meal & Drink tokens
I'm sure that I don't have to say this to the FHC crowd, but PLEASE support our awesome local businesses... A big thanks for sponsoring our Green Room goes out to:
P.S. - Mountain Chalet, the venerable outdoor store downtown, has very friendly new owners with great plans for the future. Stop by and say HI!
Addition to Peter Mulvey Show - Megan Burtt
- Whitney Luckett [ 3/12/2015 - 14:02 ] #Wow...
The last show of this season may just be the best!
Peter just called to let us know that he will be joined by Megan Burtt. I had heard good things about her, but never dug in to her music. You DO NOT want to miss this concert. She won Folks Fest & Kerrville back in 2011, played Red Rocks this last summer and is just making news everywhere she goes.
You know how much we value original songs, but this cover that I found Megan doing "I'll be seeing you" online might be just the right thing to wet the appetite.
The scope of Peter's talents as a musician, collaborator and songwriter are singular. He is arguably the most talented artist we've ever had through. We heard effusive praise of Peter & Megan's showcases at Folk Alliance this year not from not fans, but from other artists. With a nod to Maxine - here's a live version of "Shirt" from Peter's tour to The Netherlands last year.
I can't believe that I'm going to be in Singapore as this pair of incredible singer / songwriters grace Friends House Concerts with their presence. It will be a magical night up on the hill next Saturday. Please come and join Marc n Peter n Megan?
Peter Mulvey in March
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/1/2015 - 15:36 ] #
Gifted singer, songwriter Peter Mulvey will grace the FHC stage again in March. The last two times he has been through town, he hasn't been here at the house and we welcome him back with arms wide open. Peter's latest album, Siver Ladder was released last year to critical acclaim.
As the Boston Globe says of Peter, “Peter Mulvey is all substance, which is his style.” Truer words were never spoken. Join us in March for another intimate evening up on the hill with great music and good company.
The Lineup Is Out! MeadowGrass Tickets On Sale
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/1/2015 - 15:16 ] #
The MeadowGrass 2015 Lineup came out last week! It's going to be an incredible festival. You can find instructions on the Rocky Mountain Highway website.
Camping and parking were almost sold out when I left town on Thursday, so don't delay if you really wanted to experience the full festival. A link to tickets is here.
To those of you business owners among us - we are looking for sponsors for the festival. We would be honored if you chose to sponsor this festival and took the chance to get your business out in front of thousands of other like minded concertgoers. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about this opportunity!
There may still be a couple of spots for volunteers, if you are interested please contact RMH at firstname.lastname@example.org. Some volunteers are eligible for camping passes as well. MAYBE even a private volunteers only concert. You never know what's going to pop up at La Foret!
FHC Upcoming Shows
- Whitney Luckett [ 2/1/2015 - 14:37 ] #Hopefully you got a chance to catch Willy Porter at the house last month. We honestly think that was his best show ever here. Wow... Tickets for Seth Glier and Peter Mulvey are currently on sale at Eventbrite. If you have any questions, please give us a shout at: 719-385-0031 Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25Peter MulveyDate: Saturday March 21, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30
Seth Glier Next Weekend!
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 13:36 ] #
We open our home to Seth Glier again next Saturday. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the snow stays away! If you haven't spent the evening with this thoughtful, talented singer songwriter, you really ought to. We rarely see 50 year olds as grounded as this young man. At his 20-something age he is a national spokesman for the Autism Awareness Foundation and has lent his talents to that worthwhile cause.
From his website: Massachusetts based singer/songwriter/pianist/guitarist
Seth Glier is a seasoned troubadour. Averaging over 250+ live
performances annually, Seth has gone from opening act to headlining his
own shows and playing major folk festivals. He’s shared the stage with
artists as diverse as James Taylor, Ani DiFranco, Martin Sexton, Emmylou
Harris and Ryan Adams and has quickly become known for his passionate
live sets. Airplay for his Grammy® Nominated album "The Next Right
Thing" included a #1 chart position on Clear Channel's NEW! DISCOVER
& UNCOVER Program.
Seth has become increasingly comfortable expressing his
social beliefs, both onstage and off. In 2012 he took home Best Social
Action Song for his track “The Next Right Thing” at the 11th Annual
Independent Music Awards, his second IMA win. Last year Seth joined
forces with Child Fund International
as an artist partner, and since has helped over 100 children find
sponsors. Seth believes strongly in using his voice to help shine a
light; in the past he has worked with numerous organizations including
ROCK THE VOTE, Autism Speaks, Musicians On Call, Feeding America and
Coats For Kids.From our point of view - we're just grateful that he includes us in on his tour schedule because he's an incredible artist to get to spend the afternoon and evening with.
Next Up - Willy Porter
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 13:06 ] #
We're going to start out our 2015 with the ultimately talented & entertaining Willy Porter in the house January 17th. He will have his new CD here with him, "Human Kindness". We've come such a long way since his first concert here in 10 YEARS AGO?! Anybody there that night knows that Mr. Porter incurred the wrath of Whitney following the whole lead up to the concert and his rendition of Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood! There is so much to say about how insanely talented Willy is, but this quote from Shelia Moeschen on Huffington Post is about the best we've seen in low these many years.
"Porter is a guitar virtuoso whose acoustic
acrobatics often leave audiences both wrung-out and panting for more. An
accomplished lyricist, Porter knows how to turn a phrase for comedic
effect (the bawdy new tune "Fast Food Sex Sandwich" comes to mind), and
how to open up the introspective spaces in a haunting breakup song like
"What Became of Us." His connection with the crowd is easy, relaxed, and
genuine, making the experience feel a little less like a show and more
like getting to hang out with one of your favorite college buddies --
that is, until Porter unleashes his incendiary guitar picking. Then
there is no mistaking that you are buckled in for an unforgettable
musical ride."And expect another unforgettable musical ride in January up here on the hill. Get your tickets soon - he always sells out!
FHC Upcoming Gigs
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 12:51 ] # PO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 17, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25Peter MulveyDate: Mid-Late March 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30 We're still working out details for the next two shoes with Peter Mulvey & Steve Poltz concerts, but you can buy Willy Porter or Seth Glier tickets on Eventbrite. Or you can send a check to:
Friends House Concerts
Steve PoltzDate: Mid-April 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 23:43 ] #We open the doors next Sunday night and hope to have you join us for the second concert of the season. You can buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite. Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Cheryl WheelerDate: Sunday December 7, 2014Time: 7:00 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 17, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25
Willy Porter Cuts Through The Winter Gloom
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 10:55 ] #The new year starts with Willy Porter coming through in mid-January. The following is from the Summit Daily last August:
Guitarist and singer-songwriter Willy Porter
describes himself as a musical mutt, blending funk, acoustic, rock ’n’
roll, folk, jazz, finger-style and other tunes.
“It’s all of that,” said the musician from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. “It’s
kind of a unique blend. I don’t say that with any ego; it’s just how
it’s been described by everyone else.”
Porter’s influences range from Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young
to Duke Ellington, Tom Waits and the Jackson 5. He said he looks at
music as an equal-opportunity art form.
“It doesn’t matter if it’s out of tune, badly played punk or if it’s
Stravinsky, I love everything,” he said. “I say that with no pretense;
it’s just the truth.”
Join us for another incredible evening with Willy Porter.
Cheryl Wheeler Here Next Sunday!
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 10:49 ] #We are thrilled to welcome back Cheryl Wheeler for another December night up on the hill. It's kind of like having your curmudgeonly big sister visit - the one who
says she despises your kids, but secretly really adores them? And
you, in turn, hope that your kids grow up with even a fraction of her
wit, her talent and her intelligence!
It's hard to describe how sharp her wit is, but take a look at this
and then join us for another great evening here. Her shows here at Friends House Concerts
are marvelous because she's so close to the audience and THAT, my friends, is a game
changer. Come join us and see what we mean!
Date: Sunday December 7th
Time: 7:00 PM
Tickets: $30 in advance
Richard Shindell - Wednesday November 12
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/16/2014 - 20:38 ] #Live - AT THE HOUSE - not an outside venue - we are excited to present singer / songwriter Richard Shindell. Richard lives in Buenos Aires and rarely tours in the United States, but we were lucky enough to get a chance to bring him through, albeit on a Wednesday night. The chance to be up close and personal with songwriters like Richard is what this series is all about.
We first heard Richard back in 1998 when Whitney fell under his spell as he comprised one third of Cry, Cry, Cry and covered the story of the Montana firefighters caught in a raging fire in Cold Missouri Waters. Reviewers from LA Weekly to USA Today to the New York Times to the Wall Street Journal have lauded his work. His ability to tell stories authentically from many points of view remains his strong suit.
Please join us for what promises to be an exceptional evening with master singer / songwriter?!
Shindell is a master builder of songs,
yet always leading listeners toward the emotional essence of the moment
or character he is evoking. As with all master craftsmen, knowing what
to leave out is as important to him as what he puts in. Shindell has
uncanny sense of the theater of a song, building his ballads sparely and
subtly, set to sweeping graceful melodies.
by SCOTT ALARICK, The Boston Globe
|<< | July 2015 | >>|