The Gold Room Live Concert Series
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 21:04 ] #Rocky Mountain Highway has a fantastic concert series at The Gold Room during the month of October in celebration of the arts. We'll send out a full schedule in the next couple of weeks, but an outline is as follows:
September 26 Scott Law & Samson Grisman
October 3 Ronnie Fauss
October 24 New Country Rehab
It's December - Must Be Cheryl Wheeler Time!
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 20:40 ] #We are thrilled to welcome back Cheryl Wheeler for another curmudgeonly December night up here on the hill.
It's hard to describe how sharp her wit is, but take a look at this and then join us for another great evening here. Her concerts here are marvelous because she's so close to the audience and that truly changes the game.
Date: Sunday December 7th
Time: 7:00 PM
Tickets: $30 in advance
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 20:10 ] # Friends House
Concert Series returns in the fall - please send checks made out to FHC
to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Chris SmitherDate: Sunday September 14, 2014
The Gold RoomTime: 8:00 PMDoors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $25
Date: Sunday December 7, 2014
Time: 7:00 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
Mid-January - Keep Your Eyes Here!
TOMORROW!!! Chris Smither
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 19:50 ] #Tomorrow night is Chris Smither at the BEST new commercial venue in town, the Gold Room, over next to the Wyndham Mining Exchange downtown. HOPEFULLY you were able to join us for the BASKERY show, but if you weren't, you really missed an amazing evening!
But you can see a guaranteed great show in this Art Deco room tomorrow night when Chris Smither comes to town again. You all know what a fan Whitney is of Chris Smither, so you can understand what a big deal it was for us to give up his concert here at the house. To get a taste of what he's like, check out the Music FOG video on this prototype of our new Rocky Mountain Highway website.
Click here and pick up a pair of tickets for tomorrow night's show. It will be incredible. LaRue - this one's for you!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 21:25 ] #A special thank you to all who have ALREADY contacted us about volunteering for Rocky Mountain Highway. We will have so much fun as the concert series gears up, not to mention next year at MeadowGrass! There is still room for volunteers to get involved in many different ways: volunteering at festivals, organizing events. Please contact us here.
Baskery Opens The Gold Room Concert Series This Coming Sunday
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 20:12 ] #These three Swedish sisters (how do you think that we pulled in Absolut as a sponsor?!) self describe themselves as Banjopunk. Hmmmm While we're not quite sure what that really means, but we do enjoy their videos and have seen nothing but rave reviews of their work.
Join us for the first of our Gold Room Concert Series. Click here for tickets to the PERFECT way to spend the last weekend of summer.
Announcing The Gold Room Series!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 17:38 ] #
Last month, Rocky Mountain Highway directors met with the Gold Room's founder, Perry Sanders, and discovered that
we all have a passion for bringing extraordinary singer / songwriters
to Colorado Springs. To celebrate Arts month in Colorado Springs, we excitedly announce a partnership with Absolut Vodka, The Gold Room and the Mining Exchange called The Gold Room Concert Series.
The series will feature nationally touring singer / songwriters with styles that rang from acoustic punk, to folk blues to jam grass to Grammy winning country to rock and roll. We're so excited about hosting the series in this vibrant, new downtown venue, we moved the September Chris Smither concert from Friends House Concerts to downtown.
The first of our concerts is one week from tonight - Sunday August 31.
We've been together for almost 13 years now - please come out to support the concerts at The Gold Room? Give it a chance, we think you will like it! The sound system was set up by Buddha Boys, the same guys that join us at the house every time...
Next Saturday - The Iguanas!
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 16:40 ] #
Join us next Saturday for The Iguanas live up in Woodland Park at beautiful Aspen Valley Ranch. There will be great food AND music in this incredible location. We can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon / evening, then sitting on a blanket in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains listening to this New Orleans based "Americana" band. They define a sound of Americana that crosses cultures, styles, genres, even languages. While their languid tones harken from 'Nawlins, their music has been described as everything from Chicano rock, to R&B to Conjunto. It's going to be a memorable afternoon up in the shadow of Pikes Peak!
Remember to contact Whitney if you feel like volunteering at the concert...
Ever Wanted To Volunteer?
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 15:35 ] #ONE of the great aspects about this music venture over the last 13 years has been the community that developed up around it. People always ask us WHY would you ever open your house to complete strangers? In our minds, strangers are just friends we haven't met yet, right!?
If you want to be a bigger part of this community - now you have your chance! Rocky Mountain Highway is building a database of volunteers for our music events in the Pikes Peak region. We need people to man the door here at FHC, to help with parking, to take care of the green room for the artists, help us with set up and take down and even put up signs around town.
If you think that any of that sounds like fun (in exchange for great live music, of course!) then please get in touch with Whitney and we'll add you to our list of special friends. The first event that we need volunteers for is The Iguanas concert next weekend up at Aspen Valley Ranch in Woodland Park.
Please email Whitney @ email@example.com to get added to our on-going list of RMH volunteers.
Peter Mulvey, NEXT THURSDAY, at Stargazers and we have a couple of free tickets here...
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2014 - 20:37 ] #Peter Mulvey's latest release, Silver Ladder, produced by legend Chuck Prophet is winning high praise in all corners. Peter plays Stargazers next week as part of this CD's release tour. Because we're NOT hosting him here at the house - we have 5 sets of tickets to give away to next Thursday's show. Contact us to pick up a pair of these tickets - firstname.lastname@example.org. What a great way to spend a summer Thursday evening! Grab a couple of friends and enjoy a steal of a concert over at Stargazers.
PLEASE come out and support Peter - he's an incredible artist - in all senses of the word. You can check out his official video release here for Silver Ladder.
Veteran singer songwriter’s Chuck Prophet-produces, career-assessing 16th
The eclectic range of Mulvey’s tireless past pays
handsome dividends on this stylistically sweeping, LA-recorded album. A
crack specially convened band (including regular Dylan drummer David
Kemper) adhere to his well-established live and direct recording
approach and allow the performer’s deeply matured, naturally wry and
hard-edged Americana to attain full, flowing life. From the raunchy
melodic pop of “Sympathies” through suburban requiem “Remember the
Milkman”, the dizzying weirdness of “If You Shoot At A King” and even
Led Zeppelin modal thunder on “Copenhagen Airport”, Mulvey’s troubled
visions attain striking clarity.
- Gavin Martin, Uncut
Date: Thursday, June 12, 2014
Place: Stargazers Theater
Price: $10 - A STEAL at this price Click here for ticketing
Chris Smither At The Gold Room
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2014 - 19:38 ] #
Instead of going on and on about how incredible Chris Smither is, we're just going to let you read what Rolling Stone had to say about one of Whitney's favorite artists. Chris remains one of her inspirations for live music in the house... Rolling Stone writer, David Fricke, summarized his 10 favorite acts at this year's New Orleans' Jazz Fest and Chris Smither made his list. He had this to say about Chris' performance: Chris Smither, Allison Miner Music Heritage Stage, April 26th, 12:30 P.M.
conducted this interview but was, in every other way, a magnetized fan
in the audience. Smither, a folk-blues singer-songwriter admired and
covered by vocalists such as Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris, grew up in
New Orleans and told illuminating stories about trying to be a solo cat
in a saxophone and trombone city in the Sixties – learning from Lightnin' Hopkins records and the New Orleans-based bluesman Babe Stovall – then running with fellow New Dylans like Townes Van Zandt.
Smither illustrated each tale with brawny picking and the drawling
emotion in his voice, in performances of "Devil Got Your Woman" and
"Love You Like a Man." Smither, based in Massachusetts, came home last
year to cut a forthcoming two-CD retrospective, Still on the Levee (Signature Sounds). It sounds like he never left. [Click here for the full article.]
Here is a new link to tickets for Chris Smither at the Gold Room.
Rocky Mountain Highway Events
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 23:19 ] #Thank you to EVERYONE who turned out for MeadowGrass. This year's festival was reportedly the best - despite the torrential rains that fell on both Friday and Saturday nights. Thank goodness for the tent! Whitney's personal highlight was when Chadwick Stokes (Dispatch and State Radio) came off stage and gave her a huge hug...
In the mean time, RMH has several events scheduled this summer and the first couple are here...
A huge favorite of local blues fans, BIG JIM ADAMS will perform a Barn Raising Concert to benefit Venetucci Farm on June 28th in the barn at Venetucci. Click here for tickets to all Rocky Mountain Highway events. The barn will make for a magical night...
The Mountain Of The Sun concerts return to the lovely Aspen Valley Ranch this summer with THE IGUANAS in
concert on July 26th out at Again -
incredible music in extraordinary venues! Check out The Iguanas here
on their recent Mountain Stage appearance. This is an excellent opportunity to catch an bit of New Orleans history in beautiful mountain surroundings. Tickets available at Ticketfly.
One last set of Rocky Mountain Highway concerts to look out for is the Raven Nest House Concerts up at Aspen Valley Ranch as well. The first of these will take place in Woodland Park at Aspen Valley Ranch:
The Soulstice Boys: Brendan Hannigan & Taylor Weimar
Saturday, June 21
Tickets: $8 at the door
Join us on the Summer Solstice as the Soulstice Boys (an impromptu all-star
duo formed by long-time friends and colleagues Brendan Hannigan and
Taylor Weimer) bravely explore the classic American traditions
of blues, soul, rock 'n' roll, and roots music in an intimate,
improvisational acoustic context. Genre-defying original material
interspersed with bold reinterpretations of classic tunes. Lovers of
acoustic music, classic Americana, and great vocal harmonies won't be
Peter Mulvey - Stargazers
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 22:14 ] #
One of our favorites is headed this way... Unfortunately - Daughter number 1 is graduating from college right around the same time! Peter Mulvey has a new CD out -"Silver Ladder" and Marc can't believe that he's going to miss this CD release tour. Peter will be playing June 12th over at Stargazers on the East side of town.
Check out one of the cuts from his latest release here, "What Else Was It". Awesome, as always. Peter's lyrics and that all penetrating voice cast their spell all over again. We trust that you'll support him, even though he's not here at the house.
THIS WEEKEND: MeadowGrass!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 21:54 ] #
Incredible music in extraordinary places.
THAT is what MeadowGrass is all about. Take a listen to the Duhks "'Ol Cook Pot", or Elephant Revival's "Remembering a Beginning" or venture in to the funky world of The Mother Hips. Chad Stokes, of Dispatch and State Radio, displays what he's about on this TedTalk from Boston. He'll play on Saturday night up at La Foret.
After the bit of Spring/Summer weather we've had this week, it's really going to be a memorable weekend. The three day tickets are a bargain considering all the music that you'll get! We hope you'll join us.
TONIGHT: The Baby Grand Comes Out With Zoe!!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/2/2014 - 17:59 ] #There are still tickets for tonight's very special concert at the house. Zoe will be playing the baby grand unplugged tonight. Give us a shout and we would love to have you join us. Doors open at 7PM. It will be an intimate cabaret show, just for you!
We're at 719.373.8879
|<< | September 2014 | >>|