Happy Winter Solstice!
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/21/2014 - 16:57 ] #
We find ourselves so grateful to all of you as we finish out 2014 here at Friends House Concerts. Whitney's new work situation complicated the concerts this last year, but you hung in there with us. Participating in Rocky Mountain Highway this year has been a blast. We helped out on MeadowGrass and at the Gold Room series and saw many of you in both those places. Remember - RMH welcomes volunteers at all levels - from volunteering at the door for FHC to manning stations at MeadowGrass to serving on the RMH board. Please let us know if you're interested.
Thank you for your support and your friendship - both this year and in years past. It's going to be a great run of concerts in 2015 and we hope to see you up here. We're finishing the details on the possible Peter Mulvey & Steve Poltz concerts. Because the next four concerts are all men, we will balance things out by bringing Erika & Lisa through in June. It will be a great year up on the hill...
We leave you with a snippet from an interview with Willy Porter AND Peter Mulvey. Peter lyrics and Willy's licks, together on one stage?! Whitney tried SO HARD to find a way to get to Fort Atkinson for their concert about a week ago, but to no avail. Both of these guys are coming through this Winter. Is there a better stocking stuffer than a pair of FHC Concert tickets!?
Seth Glier In February
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 13:36 ] #
So wise he is beyond his years! We open our home to Seth Glier again on February 28th. If you haven't spent the evening with this thoughtful, talented singer songwriter, you really ought to. We rarely see 50 year olds as grounded as this young man. At his 20-something age he is a national spokesman for the Autism Awareness Foundation and has lent his talents .
From his website: Massachusetts based singer/songwriter/pianist/guitarist
Seth Glier is a seasoned troubadour. Averaging over 250+ live
performances annually, Seth has gone from opening act to headlining his
own shows and playing major folk festivals. He’s shared the stage with
artists as diverse as James Taylor, Ani DiFranco, Martin Sexton, Emmylou
Harris and Ryan Adams and has quickly become known for his passionate
live sets. Airplay for his Grammy® Nominated album "The Next Right
Thing" included a #1 chart position on Clear Channel's NEW! DISCOVER
& UNCOVER Program.
Seth has become increasingly comfortable expressing his
social beliefs, both onstage and off. In 2012 he took home Best Social
Action Song for his track “The Next Right Thing” at the 11th Annual
Independent Music Awards, his second IMA win. Last year Seth joined
forces with Child Fund International
as an artist partner, and since has helped over 100 children find
sponsors. Seth believes strongly in using his voice to help shine a
light; in the past he has worked with numerous organizations including
ROCK THE VOTE, Autism Speaks, Musicians On Call, Feeding America and
Coats For Kids.From our point of view - we're just grateful that he includes us in on his tour schedule because he's an incredible artist to get to spend the afternoon and evening with.
Next Up - Willy Porter
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 13:06 ] #
We're going to start out our 2015 with the ultimately talented & entertaining Willy Porter in the house January 17th. He will have his new CD here with him, "Human Kindness". We've come such a long way since his first concert here in 10 YEARS AGO?! Anybody there that night knows that Mr. Porter incurred the wrath of Whitney following the whole lead up to the concert and his rendition of Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood! There is so much to say about how insanely talented Willy is, but this quote from Shelia Moeschen on Huffington Post is about the best we've seen in low these many years.
"Porter is a guitar virtuoso whose acoustic
acrobatics often leave audiences both wrung-out and panting for more. An
accomplished lyricist, Porter knows how to turn a phrase for comedic
effect (the bawdy new tune "Fast Food Sex Sandwich" comes to mind), and
how to open up the introspective spaces in a haunting breakup song like
"What Became of Us." His connection with the crowd is easy, relaxed, and
genuine, making the experience feel a little less like a show and more
like getting to hang out with one of your favorite college buddies --
that is, until Porter unleashes his incendiary guitar picking. Then
there is no mistaking that you are buckled in for an unforgettable
musical ride."And expect another unforgettable musical ride in January up here on the hill. Get your tickets soon - he always sells out!
FHC Upcoming Gigs
- Whitney Luckett [ 12/20/2014 - 12:51 ] # PO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 17, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25Peter MulveyDate: Mid-Late March 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30 We're still working out details for the next two shoes with Peter Mulvey & Steve Poltz concerts, but you can buy Willy Porter or Seth Glier tickets on Eventbrite. Or you can send a check to:
Friends House Concerts
Steve PoltzDate: Mid-April 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $30
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 23:43 ] #We open the doors next Sunday night and hope to have you join us for the second concert of the season. You can buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite. Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Cheryl WheelerDate: Sunday December 7, 2014Time: 7:00 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Willy PorterDate: Saturday, January 17, 2014Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30Seth GlierDate: Saturday, February 28, 2015Time: 7:30 PMDoors Open: 6:45 PMArtist Donation: $25
Willy Porter Cuts Through The Winter Gloom
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 10:55 ] #The new year starts with Willy Porter coming through in mid-January. The following is from the Summit Daily last August:
Guitarist and singer-songwriter Willy Porter
describes himself as a musical mutt, blending funk, acoustic, rock ’n’
roll, folk, jazz, finger-style and other tunes.
“It’s all of that,” said the musician from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. “It’s
kind of a unique blend. I don’t say that with any ego; it’s just how
it’s been described by everyone else.”
Porter’s influences range from Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young
to Duke Ellington, Tom Waits and the Jackson 5. He said he looks at
music as an equal-opportunity art form.
“It doesn’t matter if it’s out of tune, badly played punk or if it’s
Stravinsky, I love everything,” he said. “I say that with no pretense;
it’s just the truth.”
Join us for another incredible evening with Willy Porter.
Cheryl Wheeler Here Next Sunday!
- Whitney Luckett [ 11/29/2014 - 10:49 ] #We are thrilled to welcome back Cheryl Wheeler for another December night up on the hill. It's kind of like having your curmudgeonly big sister visit - the one who
says she despises your kids, but secretly really adores them? And
you, in turn, hope that your kids grow up with even a fraction of her
wit, her talent and her intelligence!
It's hard to describe how sharp her wit is, but take a look at this
and then join us for another great evening here. Her shows here at Friends House Concerts
are marvelous because she's so close to the audience and THAT, my friends, is a game
changer. Come join us and see what we mean!
Date: Sunday December 7th
Time: 7:00 PM
Tickets: $30 in advance
Richard Shindell - Wednesday November 12
- Whitney Luckett [ 10/16/2014 - 20:38 ] #Live - AT THE HOUSE - not an outside venue - we are excited to present singer / songwriter Richard Shindell. Richard lives in Buenos Aires and rarely tours in the United States, but we were lucky enough to get a chance to bring him through, albeit on a Wednesday night. The chance to be up close and personal with songwriters like Richard is what this series is all about.
We first heard Richard back in 1998 when Whitney fell under his spell as he comprised one third of Cry, Cry, Cry and covered the story of the Montana firefighters caught in a raging fire in Cold Missouri Waters. Reviewers from LA Weekly to USA Today to the New York Times to the Wall Street Journal have lauded his work. His ability to tell stories authentically from many points of view remains his strong suit.
Please join us for what promises to be an exceptional evening with master singer / songwriter?!
Shindell is a master builder of songs,
yet always leading listeners toward the emotional essence of the moment
or character he is evoking. As with all master craftsmen, knowing what
to leave out is as important to him as what he puts in. Shindell has
uncanny sense of the theater of a song, building his ballads sparely and
subtly, set to sweeping graceful melodies.
by SCOTT ALARICK, The Boston Globe
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 20:10 ] # Friends House
Concert Series returns next month - please send checks made out to FHC
to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.
Friends House Concerts
PO Box 38943
Colorado Springs, CO 80937
Date: WEDNESDAY November 12, 2014
Time: 7:15 PM
Doors Open: 6:15
Artist Donation: $30
Date: Sunday December 7, 2014
Time: 7:00 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
Date: Saturday, January 17, 2014
Time: 7:30 PM
Doors Open: 6:30 PM
Artist Donation: $30
TOMORROW!!! Chris Smither
- Whitney Luckett [ 9/13/2014 - 19:50 ] #Tomorrow night is Chris Smither at the BEST new commercial venue in town, the Gold Room, over next to the Wyndham Mining Exchange downtown. HOPEFULLY you were able to join us for the BASKERY show, but if you weren't, you really missed an amazing evening!
But you can see a guaranteed great show in this Art Deco room tomorrow night when Chris Smither comes to town again. You all know what a fan Whitney is of Chris Smither, so you can understand what a big deal it was for us to give up his concert here at the house. To get a taste of what he's like, check out the Music FOG video on this prototype of our new Rocky Mountain Highway website.
Click here and pick up a pair of tickets for tomorrow night's show. It will be incredible. LaRue - this one's for you!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 21:25 ] #A special thank you to all who have ALREADY contacted us about volunteering for Rocky Mountain Highway. We will have so much fun as the concert series gears up, not to mention next year at MeadowGrass! There is still room for volunteers to get involved in many different ways: volunteering at festivals, organizing events. Please contact us here.
Baskery Opens The Gold Room Concert Series This Coming Sunday
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 20:12 ] #These three Swedish sisters (how do you think that we pulled in Absolut as a sponsor?!) self describe themselves as Banjopunk. Hmmmm While we're not quite sure what that really means, but we do enjoy their videos and have seen nothing but rave reviews of their work.
Join us for the first of our Gold Room Concert Series. Click here for tickets to the PERFECT way to spend the last weekend of summer.
Announcing The Gold Room Series!
- Whitney Luckett [ 8/24/2014 - 17:38 ] #
Last month, Rocky Mountain Highway directors met with the Gold Room's founder, Perry Sanders, and discovered that
we all have a passion for bringing extraordinary singer / songwriters
to Colorado Springs. To celebrate Arts month in Colorado Springs, we excitedly announce a partnership with Absolut Vodka, The Gold Room and the Mining Exchange called The Gold Room Concert Series.
The series will feature nationally touring singer / songwriters with styles that rang from acoustic punk, to folk blues to jam grass to Grammy winning country to rock and roll. We're so excited about hosting the series in this vibrant, new downtown venue, we moved the September Chris Smither concert from Friends House Concerts to downtown.
The first of our concerts is one week from tonight - Sunday August 31.
We've been together for almost 13 years now - please come out to support the concerts at The Gold Room? Give it a chance, we think you will like it! The sound system was set up by Buddha Boys, the same guys that join us at the house every time...
Next Saturday - The Iguanas!
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 16:40 ] #
Join us next Saturday for The Iguanas live up in Woodland Park at beautiful Aspen Valley Ranch. There will be great food AND music in this incredible location. We can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon / evening, then sitting on a blanket in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains listening to this New Orleans based "Americana" band. They define a sound of Americana that crosses cultures, styles, genres, even languages. While their languid tones harken from 'Nawlins, their music has been described as everything from Chicano rock, to R&B to Conjunto. It's going to be a memorable afternoon up in the shadow of Pikes Peak!
Remember to contact Whitney if you feel like volunteering at the concert...
Ever Wanted To Volunteer?
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 15:35 ] #ONE of the great aspects about this music venture over the last 13 years has been the community that developed up around it. People always ask us WHY would you ever open your house to complete strangers? In our minds, strangers are just friends we haven't met yet, right!?
If you want to be a bigger part of this community - now you have your chance! Rocky Mountain Highway is building a database of volunteers for our music events in the Pikes Peak region. We need people to man the door here at FHC, to help with parking, to take care of the green room for the artists, help us with set up and take down and even put up signs around town.
If you think that any of that sounds like fun (in exchange for great live music, of course!) then please get in touch with Whitney and we'll add you to our list of special friends. The first event that we need volunteers for is The Iguanas concert next weekend up at Aspen Valley Ranch in Woodland Park.
Please email Whitney @ firstname.lastname@example.org to get added to our on-going list of RMH volunteers.
|<< | January 2015 | >>|