Next Saturday - The Iguanas!
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 16:40 ] #
Join us next Saturday for The Iguanas live up in Woodland Park at beautiful Aspen Valley Ranch. There will be great food AND music in this incredible location. We can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon / evening, then sitting on a blanket in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains listening to this New Orleans based "Americana" band. They define a sound of Americana that crosses cultures, styles, genres, even languages. While their languid tones harken from 'Nawlins, their music has been described as everything from Chicano rock, to R&B to Conjunto. It's going to be a memorable afternoon up in the shadow of Pikes Peak!
Remember to contact Whitney if you feel like volunteering at the concert...
Ever Wanted To Volunteer?
- Whitney Luckett [ 7/19/2014 - 15:35 ] #ONE of the great aspects about this music venture over the last 13 years has been the community that developed up around it. People always ask us WHY would you ever open your house to complete strangers? In our minds, strangers are just friends we haven't met yet, right!?
If you want to be a bigger part of this community - now you have your chance! Rocky Mountain Highway is building a database of volunteers for our music events in the Pikes Peak region. We need people to man the door here at FHC, to help with parking, to take care of the green room for the artists, help us with set up and take down and even put up signs around town.
If you think that any of that sounds like fun (in exchange for great live music, of course!) then please get in touch with Whitney and we'll add you to our list of special friends. The first event that we need volunteers for is The Iguanas concert next weekend up at Aspen Valley Ranch in Woodland Park.
Please email Whitney @ email@example.com to get added to our on-going list of RMH volunteers.
Peter Mulvey, NEXT THURSDAY, at Stargazers and we have a couple of free tickets here...
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2014 - 20:37 ] #Peter Mulvey's latest release, Silver Ladder, produced by legend Chuck Prophet is winning high praise in all corners. Peter plays Stargazers next week as part of this CD's release tour. Because we're NOT hosting him here at the house - we have 5 sets of tickets to give away to next Thursday's show. Contact us to pick up a pair of these tickets - firstname.lastname@example.org. What a great way to spend a summer Thursday evening! Grab a couple of friends and enjoy a steal of a concert over at Stargazers.
PLEASE come out and support Peter - he's an incredible artist - in all senses of the word. You can check out his official video release here for Silver Ladder.
Veteran singer songwriter’s Chuck Prophet-produces, career-assessing 16th
The eclectic range of Mulvey’s tireless past pays
handsome dividends on this stylistically sweeping, LA-recorded album. A
crack specially convened band (including regular Dylan drummer David
Kemper) adhere to his well-established live and direct recording
approach and allow the performer’s deeply matured, naturally wry and
hard-edged Americana to attain full, flowing life. From the raunchy
melodic pop of “Sympathies” through suburban requiem “Remember the
Milkman”, the dizzying weirdness of “If You Shoot At A King” and even
Led Zeppelin modal thunder on “Copenhagen Airport”, Mulvey’s troubled
visions attain striking clarity.
- Gavin Martin, Uncut
Date: Thursday, June 12, 2014
Place: Stargazers Theater
Price: $10 - A STEAL at this price Click here for ticketing
Chris Smither to Open FHC 14th Season
- Whitney Luckett [ 6/4/2014 - 19:38 ] #
Instead of going on and on about how incredible Chris Smither is, up close and personal at a house concert, we're just going to let you read what Rolling Stone had to say about one of Whitney's favorite artists. Chris remains one of her inspirations for live music in the house... Rolling Stone writer, David Fricke, summarized his 10 favorite acts at this year's New Orleans' Jazz Fest and Chris Smither made his list. He had this to say about Chris' performance: Chris Smither, Allison Miner Music Heritage Stage, April 26th, 12:30 P.M.
conducted this interview but was, in every other way, a magnetized fan
in the audience. Smither, a folk-blues singer-songwriter admired and
covered by vocalists such as Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris, grew up in
New Orleans and told illuminating stories about trying to be a solo cat
in a saxophone and trombone city in the Sixties – learning from Lightnin' Hopkins records and the New Orleans-based bluesman Babe Stovall – then running with fellow New Dylans like Townes Van Zandt.
Smither illustrated each tale with brawny picking and the drawling
emotion in his voice, in performances of "Devil Got Your Woman" and
"Love You Like a Man." Smither, based in Massachusetts, came home last
year to cut a forthcoming two-CD retrospective, Still on the Levee (Signature Sounds). It sounds like he never left. [Click here for the full article.]
There are still some seats left for the show - but make sure you don't miss out on it!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/21/2014 - 00:16 ] # Friends House Concert Series returns in the fall - please send checks made out to FHC to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Chris SmitherDate: Sunday September 14, 2014Time: 7:00 PM Doors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30
Rocky Mountain Highway Events
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 23:19 ] #Thank you to EVERYONE who turned out for MeadowGrass. This year's festival was reportedly the best - despite the torrential rains that fell on both Friday and Saturday nights. Thank goodness for the tent! Whitney's personal highlight was when Chadwick Stokes (Dispatch and State Radio) came off stage and gave her a huge hug...
In the mean time, RMH has several events scheduled this summer and the first couple are here...
A huge favorite of local blues fans, BIG JIM ADAMS will perform a Barn Raising Concert to benefit Venetucci Farm on June 28th in the barn at Venetucci. Click here for tickets to all Rocky Mountain Highway events. The barn will make for a magical night...
The Mountain Of The Sun concerts return to the lovely Aspen Valley Ranch this summer with THE IGUANAS in
concert on July 26th out at Again -
incredible music in extraordinary venues! Check out The Iguanas here
on their recent Mountain Stage appearance. This is an excellent opportunity to catch an bit of New Orleans history in beautiful mountain surroundings. Tickets available at Ticketfly.
One last set of Rocky Mountain Highway concerts to look out for is the Raven Nest House Concerts up at Aspen Valley Ranch as well. The first of these will take place in Woodland Park at Aspen Valley Ranch:
The Soulstice Boys: Brendan Hannigan & Taylor Weimar
Saturday, June 21
Tickets: $8 at the door
Join us on the Summer Solstice as the Soulstice Boys (an impromptu all-star
duo formed by long-time friends and colleagues Brendan Hannigan and
Taylor Weimer) bravely explore the classic American traditions
of blues, soul, rock 'n' roll, and roots music in an intimate,
improvisational acoustic context. Genre-defying original material
interspersed with bold reinterpretations of classic tunes. Lovers of
acoustic music, classic Americana, and great vocal harmonies won't be
Peter Mulvey - Stargazers
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 22:14 ] #
One of our favorites is headed this way... Unfortunately - Daughter number 1 is graduating from college right around the same time! Peter Mulvey has a new CD out -"Silver Ladder" and Marc can't believe that he's going to miss this CD release tour. Peter will be playing June 12th over at Stargazers on the East side of town.
Check out one of the cuts from his latest release here, "What Else Was It". Awesome, as always. Peter's lyrics and that all penetrating voice cast their spell all over again. We trust that you'll support him, even though he's not here at the house.
THIS WEEKEND: MeadowGrass!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/20/2014 - 21:54 ] #
Incredible music in extraordinary places.
THAT is what MeadowGrass is all about. Take a listen to the Duhks "'Ol Cook Pot", or Elephant Revival's "Remembering a Beginning" or venture in to the funky world of The Mother Hips. Chad Stokes, of Dispatch and State Radio, displays what he's about on this TedTalk from Boston. He'll play on Saturday night up at La Foret.
After the bit of Spring/Summer weather we've had this week, it's really going to be a memorable weekend. The three day tickets are a bargain considering all the music that you'll get! We hope you'll join us.
TONIGHT: The Baby Grand Comes Out With Zoe!!
- Whitney Luckett [ 5/2/2014 - 17:59 ] #There are still tickets for tonight's very special concert at the house. Zoe will be playing the baby grand unplugged tonight. Give us a shout and we would love to have you join us. Doors open at 7PM. It will be an intimate cabaret show, just for you!
We're at 719.373.8879
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/20/2014 - 21:09 ] #
We have had sooooo much fun working on putting together the MeadowGrass festival this year. If you haven't been out there, we STRONGLY encourage you to join us up at La Foret for an exceptional music festival over Memorial Day weekend, Friday through Sunday.
There are some incredible musicians in the lineup including: Sugar Hill recording artists The Duhks (pronounced Ducks), Colorado's own Elephant Revival, and San Francisco-based The Mother Hips. Additionally, MeadowGrass includes many excellent local bands. The ticket prices are a bargain! OR... if you are interested, think about sponsoring the festival. We're closing out the sponsorships this week. Call us at 719.373.8879719.373.8879.
Join us up in Black Forest for a uniquely beautiful Colorado festival. Get your tickets here.
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/20/2014 - 21:00 ] #Thank you for supporting Friends House Concerts this year. We truly appreciate your participation over the years.
Thank you for bearing with us this year as we've tried out new newsletter technologies. We want to especially thank the website designer who let us know that our Mail Chimp emails were coming in so poorly designed. Whitney really appreciates the feedback! We're working to fix it, but haven't got it perfected yet.
We really would like to see Zoe sell out - Join us, won't you? You'll laugh all night!
Friends House Concerts
Zoe Lewis Brings our 2013-2014 Season To An End
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/20/2014 - 20:47 ] #We will close out our 2013-14 season in less than two weeks with a perennial favorite, Zoe Lewis. Zoe comes from Britain by way of Massachusetts and is one of the most entertaining acts we've seen come through. She's a multi-instrumentalist with a flair for the dramatic. She's been running a series of shows inspired by 1920's speakeasies. We're lucky to see her out here because she spends almost the whole summer out on Cape Code. Check her out here...
We would LOVE to see you up here on the hill for our last concert until September. Come enjoy a fun evening up on the hill with a first class entertainer.
- Whitney Luckett [ 4/19/2014 - 22:03 ] # Please send checks made out to FHC to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Zoe LewisDate: Friday, May 2, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $20Chris SmitherDate: Sunday September 14, 2014Time: 7:00 PM Doors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30
Eilen Jewell And Band At The House
- Whitney Luckett [ 3/16/2014 - 09:47 ] #In less than a week we're pleased to welcome back Eilen Jewell and her touring band to the FHC stage. Well - with a full drum set, we really have to take the stage out, but in theory... Eilen is playing the following night to sold out crowd at ETown up in Boulder. We're confused about why there are still open seats for Saturday's show.
Serendipity strikes every once in a while and discovering Eilen's uber-talented guitar player, Jerry G. Miller, was one of those times. INCREDIBLE guitar player... Please take a look at this SXSW video embedded in this Pollstar interview and then click this link to get your tickets?!
Upcoming Friends House Concert Shows
- Whitney Luckett [ 1/25/2014 - 11:41 ] # Please send checks made out to FHC to the following address or buy your tickets on line at Eventbrite.Friends House ConcertsPO Box 38943Colorado Springs, CO 80937Tel: 719-385-0031Eilen JewellDate: Saturday March 22, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $25Mollie O'Brien & Rich MooreDate: Saturday April 12, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $25Zoe LewisDate: Friday, May 2, 2014Time: 7:30 PM Doors Open: 7:00 PMArtist Donation: $20Chris SmitherDate: Sunday September 14, 2014Time: 7:00 PM Doors Open: 6:30 PMArtist Donation: $30 |
|<< | July 2014 | >>|